Copyright 2013 All Rights Reserved

A Commitment to First Nations

P.O. Box 37, Portage la Prairie, MB, Canada, R1N 3B2   Phone: (204) 856-5370   Fax: (204) 856-5389    Email:

Long Plain

Criminal Record Check (CRC)

Follow Us on Twitter

DOPS Mascot

A Guide to Policing

We are pleased to present you with a copy of “A Guide to Policing for the communities served by the Dakota Ojibway Police Service” which was created especially for you, our community members. This document should be useful to our citizens including elders, students, residents, visitors and Leadership.

This guide will inform you about police procedures, suggested conduct when interacting with the police, and our (community) resources and services.
Take the time to review this guide so that any encounter you have with the police will be positive for you and the officers. You can help keep our community safe for all residents.

Your Police
Dakota Ojibway Police officers play a vital role in keeping our communities safe for everyone. They have sworn duty to preserve the peace, prevent crimes, enforce the law, protect lives and property. Encounters with the police can be intimidating especially for people unfamiliar with the law and police practices. You may feel the police are harassing you for no reason. These experiences can lead to negative perceptions, mistrust and possible fear of the police.

The purpose of this pamphlet is to familiarize you with:
 - The role of the Police
 - Police Authority
 - Your Rights

 - DOPS Specialized Units
 - K-9 Unit
 - Search and Rescue Unit
 - Crime Prevention Services/School Resource Unit
 - Criminal Investigation Unit

 - How can I become a police officer?
 - What if I am the victim of a crime?
 - What are my rights if I am arrested?
 - What should I do when an officer stops me
    while I’m driving?
 - When can a police officer search me?
 - Do I have to answer the officer’s questions
   or identify myself?
 - What if I have a complaint about the Police?

This pamphlet is not intended to be a legal authority. If you need legal advice, you should contact legal aid or a lawyer.

Available at Headquarters
and all Detachments